Our role is to promote Ontario VQA wines and vintners, support the production of excellent local wines valued both at home and abroad, and build on the substantial economic benefits that the VQA wine industry brings to the province. Authentically local VQA wine is made without imported grapes.
Members benefit from the WCO’s strong ties with the Ontario and federal governments. Some of the most significant laws and policies that the WCO has advocated for over the years include:
- Establishment of the VQA appellation system
- Federal excise tax relief for 100% domestic wines
- Ability for wineries to sell directly to licensees/restaurants, at preferred margins
- Expanded retail opportunities, including Farmers’ Markets and grocery or independent wine retailers
- Expanded opportunities for small and medium wineries at the LCBO, and margin enhancements programs for VQA wine sales through the LCBO
- Sunday Shopping for beverage alcohol, and especially at wineries (as part of an overall tourism focus)
- Continued government support for the industry marketing program, including the Wine Country Ontario Travel Guide to the wineries of Ontario and the Wine Route.